Living in the Bloomfield/Bloomfield Hills Area
The Kirk draws active members from a large radius and is a ‘destination’ church. Nearby suburbs to explore include Bloomfield Township, Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Troy, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Royal Oak, and West Bloomfield.
Life here is heavily car-dependent, but is that any surprise if you’re adjacent to the Motor City?
- The Bloomfield/Bloomfield Hills area has much in common with other affluent Midwestern suburbs with exceptional shopping and recreation, as well as many standout schools, both public and private. Bloomfield Hills is home to the International Academy, an internationally known and all International Baccalaureate public high school, ranked 2nd in Michigan and 54th in the United States by S. News and World Report. The IA, as it is known, accepts students from most of Oakland County’s school districts. In addition, there are several noted Catholic high schools in Bloomfield Hills, and the Cranbrook Educational Community, which includes three private schools for children pre-k through grade 12, a Science Institute and Museum, the graduate level Academy of Art and an art museum. Bloomfield Hills High School is just a block from the Kirk and ranks 26th in Michigan according to U.S. News and World Report. The Bloomfield Hills School District owns both a working farm and a nature center. These two facilities provide both curriculum and career path opportunities for their students. The Roeper School, a private school for gifted and talented children, is located in Bloomfield Hills as well. Troy High School, in the Troy School District, is ranked 5th in the state by U.S. News and World Report, and the same listing places Birmingham’s Seaholm High School at 17th in Michigan. Birmingham is home to another renowned private school, Detroit Country Day. Rochester Adams High School, in the Rochester Community Schools, is ranked 7th in the state by U.S. News and World Report.
- Pontiac – so close and yet so different - offers opportunities for extensive Kirk outreach. As highlighted in the Outreach and Mission Ministries section of our website, the Kirk is currently heavily involved in Pontiac, yet strives to extend and deepen our partnerships in this neighboring community.
- The City of Detroit, once avoided, is experiencing a renaissance; it is now a magnet for dining and entertainment.
- Professional sports teams (Detroit Pistons, Detroit Red Wings, Detroit Tigers, Detroit Lions) and opportunities to enjoy college sports are all nearby. The Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, home to many elite skaters, is one of three area skating clubs that train world-champion ice-dancing teams—and also offers figure skating programs and hockey leagues. With more than 11,000 inland lakes and the longest freshwater shoreline in the world, Michigan’s water sports provide the state with a huge economic boost. Snow skiing draws many residents (and Kirk members!) into heavy participation.
- The area boasts tremendous research universities (Wayne State University, University of Michigan, Michigan State University, Oakland University) to draw upon for arts enrichment, medical care, and education within 90 minutes of the Kirk.
- Bloomfield Township and the City of Bloomfield Hills offer public recreation space through the local school district facilities. In addition, southeast Michigan and the Detroit metro area have numerous parks and recreation areas for swimming, boating, biking, fishing, and more.
- The landmark Somerset Collection shopping mall (only 15 minutes away) that spans both sides of a six-lane highway offers indoor walking groups and clubs. Downtown Birmingham and The Village at Rochester Hills offer upscale urban shopping in an outdoor setting.